New Year is approaching and we all know what it means… New Year’s resolutions! I am SO gonna lose weight, travel the world, get married, maybe have a baby, start a business?.. Whatever it was, we all had something in mind when that clock ding-dongs telling us “Hey, it’s 1st of January. A fresh start!”.
I remember very well how I was quite unhappy where I was and how my life was turning out – work, stress, work and weekends spent in the city of Manchester wining and dining. And maybe shopping. That was (I think) exactly a year ago. I remember when in the holiday season I was thinking “Wow.. This is so vain. Everything is so superficial and “fake” in a way..I am not feeling this material life..”. I wanted to change so badly so I made goals for myself – I WILL change my life.
In a way I did – I am living in a beautiful part of England, I have a tiny blog, I work on small things online, I am less stressed in that way. However, 80 per cent of my “set” resolutions were not achieved. You might think “So… Who are you to tell me how to achieve my dreams this year?” and I totally get it. In Lithuania (my homeland) there is a saying that could be translated “Learn from someone else’s mistakes, not your own”. So please let me tell you how YOU CAN achieve your goals in 2017!
1. VISUALIZE. Write down what you want to achieve. Write as many things as you want, they might seem unrealistic but it doesn’t matter – just write. Have you ever heard of law of attraction? If not – look it up! Remember: if you can dream it – you can achieve it. Whatever you can imagine, you can make it a reality. Think about those things all the time, put your list of 2017 goals on a mirror or your door and read it every day. I remember back in high school I was reading a book about how to make your life good (or something between those lines) and it kept saying that if, for example, you wish to lose or gain weight – everyday stand in front of the mirror and see/imagine your perfect body, visualize what you wear and how you look in small detail.. Eventually your brain will start making small changes without you noticing it and maybe you will stop craving sweets or carbs (of course you will need to put work into it, but programming your brain will make it much easier). Well, you got the point.
2. SET SMALL REALISTIC GOALS. Break your main goals to some little ones that could be achieved in 2-4 weeks. For example, Jan – go to the gym at least 15 times, write one novel, start an online course etc. Make sure they are achievable and realistic! You will be surprised how much getting little goals will motivate you to do more and more. Baby steps, right?
3. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PLAN. Fail to plan – plan to fail. Want to write a book? You better start writing it, looking into publishers (or consider self-publishing it), marketing and other important things. Come back to point no 2, break it down to small steps so something huge looks like something very real!
4. GET RID OF (ALL) NEGATIVITY IN YOUR LIFE. There is nothing worse when you have a lifetime dream/goal that you always always wanted to achieve but then someone says “Oh but you are not really good at that!” or “There is no way someone like you would do it”.. After negative words all we want to do is crawl into our bed, become a blanket burrito, get some chocolate and never leave. Do you know what I mean?.. People can be very jealous and awful. Try to avoid people like that, remove them from Facebook or any social media platform. Surround yourself with people that care about you and encourage you, people that GET IT. It can get very tough in life and I get it… Nowadays there are so many beautiful Facebook groups and forums that would be able to advise and inspire you! It might seem hard at first and you might feel bad about pushing people from you, but remember that you are doing it for YOURSELF and you definitely don’t want pessimistic “friends” sucking your good vibes.
5. FIND A MENTOR. If you love learning about self development and success, you might know that all successful people (aka gurus) always point out how important it it so have a mentor. Want to be a blogger? Find a fellow blogger that you like and that is successful, check what they do everyday, try to contact them and ask for advice, check what courses they offer. Want to be super fit? Find a motivating personal trainer. These days you do not even need to be in the some country with your mentor – The Internet is here to help! Don’t feel scared or discouraged, most of our idols had to start somewhere as well.. Remember, they are human too.
6. BE BRAVE. This one is very important and (probably) the toughest one… I saw a very good quote on Pinterest today that said “Worrying won’t stop bad stuff from happening, it just stops you enjoying the good” and I cannot agree with it more. Always think “Okay, what is the worst that can happen?” and the answer most likely is that you will get rejected and that’s it! Don’t get me wrong, I am not encouraging you to do something illegal or silly, I want you to concur your fears and fight them. I was watching a TED talk about being brave a while ago and a guy (I wish I could remember who!) was saying that if you are afraid of people or shy in general do this exercise – go to the street and try to get rejected as many times as you can per 20 minutes (for example, try to sell something random). At first it will seem like a huge scary deal but after few rejections you will start caring less and less.. In a result, you won’t care at all. Try it! You will see that some “scary things” are not that horrifying. Trust me.
7. FOCUS. Come on, you can do it!! Stay focused, remind yourself why you started working towards your goals. Make sure this time next year you say that you chose your life and dreams, not settled for it. I believe in you!
Did you achieve your goals this year? What are your goals for 2017?